Download Episode 51 Here
Stogie of the Week
Liga Privada Dirty Rat by Drew Estate
Wrapper: Stalk Cut USA Connecticut Sungrown Habana
Binder: Brazilian Mata Fina
Filler: Nicaraguan, Hondurus
Size: 5 x 44
MSRP: About $13.00 a single
What We Have Been Smoking
The complete list of all cigars discussed in this segment can be found on the Episode 51 Stogies Page.
See Paul’s List, complete with pictures, ratings and mini-reviews on his Stogie Feed.
See Tim’s List, complete with pictures, ratings and mini-reviews on his Stogie Feed.
See Mark’s List, complete with pictures, ratings and mini-reviews on his Stogie Feed.
Segment: Around The Humidor
– Of all the new brands that we talk about on the show, what are some that are worth seeking out?
– We all appreciate good construction on a cigar, but how much smoke is too much? sometimes not enough, and some times way too much! Does too much detract from the experience?
– What are your thoughts on Internet sales? Some believe that Internet sales ruin the industry, making it hard for local shops to compete, do you think that’s true?
– Summer is coming, which means high humidity, what should we be doing with our humidors now to prepare for the summer months?
– We don’t talk much about ashtrays, what are your favorite types and what should you consider when purchasing an ashtray?
Contest: Liga Privada Prize Pack
Thanks to the Stogie Geeks for this week’s prize package, you will receive a Stogie Geeks Golf Towel, A Stogie Geeks Sticker, One Dirty Rat cigar and one Liga Privada #9 from 2009.
Question: Both the Liga Privada Dirty Rat and T52 use Stalk Cut Wrappers, explain what the process of stalk cut entails.
Congratulations to Carl L. who correctly answered;
Stalk cut involves chopping down the entire plant by making one diagonal cut at the bottom of the stalk. The leaves are removed. The plant is flipped upside and the leaves cure while still attached the plant. The stalk continues to feed the leaves nutrients though out the entire curing process until the stalk is completely stripped of it’s minerals and flavor characteristics