Download Episode 63 Here
Interview: Fred “Godfodr” Rewey
He entered the cigar business probably about 18 months ago and launched Nomad Cigar Company. He launched a Dominican-based blend – blended in the DR called “Nomad”. The theme of his company is “Nomad”, so the concept is he will travel from place to place to make his cigars. He turned his sights to Nicaragua. He just released a limited edition cigar called the LE Esteli Lot 1386 – out of Nicaragua He now is planning a cigar called S-307 – also out of Nicaragua.
- What did you do before you decided to get into the cigar business?
- What sealed the deal for you to get into the cigar business?
- Where does the name “Nomad” come from and what does it mean?
- With all of the different tobacco available to blenders, what made you start with Dominican?
- How did you hook up with Gary Grifith?
- How did the LE Lot 1386 project start?
- Why did you release the LE before the core line S-307? Is there a strategy to releasing limited editions and core lines? How do you provide the balance?
- Are your limited editions truly limited or will you re-release them under the same or different names?
- Tell us about the the S-307 project
- Who do you admire most in the cigar industry and why?
- What is you more favorite cigar to smoke from your own blends? What about your other favorite blends?
- What’s next for Fred Rewey and Nomad?
To summarize his lines:
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
Filler: Dominican with a little Nicaraguan
Made in DR
It has seven sizes. One of the sizes “The Fugitive” was a limited edition perfecto that is now tough to get.
Nomad LE Esteli Lot 1386
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
Made in Nicaraguan
One size – 6 x 52 Toro, limited to 307 boxes of 10
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
Binder: Ecuadorian Habano
Made at the A.J. Fernandez Factory
Still to be released, it will be box-pressed in 3 vitolas.
Stogie of the Week
Tatuaje Avion 2013 FF (With a special thanks to Jason at HightLight Cigars)
Wrapper: Ecuador Habano Maduro
Filler: Nicaraguan including Jalapa/Esteli Ligero
Size: 67/8 x 52
MSRP: About $8.00
The back story on the FF from Cigar Coop;
During production of the Avion 13, Tatuaje owner Pete Johnson made a decision to change the usual Habano Ecuador wrapper to a Connecticut Broadleaf. At the time there was already some production that was done on the Habano Ecuador version. Johnson made a decision to package up the Tatuaje Avion 13 Habanos as a limited release and make it available. This is being dubbed the Tatuaje Avion 13 FF.
What We Have Been Smoking
The complete list of all cigars discussed in this segment can be found on the Episode 63 Stogies Page.
See Paul’s List, complete with pictures, ratings and mini-reviews on his Stogie Feed.
See Mark’s List, complete with pictures, ratings and mini-reviews on his Stogie Feed.
Segment: Over/Under Rated Cigars
(See above for video, it was included in the “Stogies of the Week” segment.)
Contest: Highlight Cigars Cigar of the Year (COTY) 2012 Sampler
Thanks to: Jason at HightLight Cigars
This epic prize pack includes;
- CyB Corona Real
- My Father Belicoso
- La Palina Kill Bill
- Cain F Lancero
- Padron 1964 Maduro Superior
- Quesada Jalapa Belicoso
- EP Carrillo Short Run 2012
- L’ Atelier Tramp Stamp
- Room 101 Serie SA 2013
- Fuente Anejo Shark (HTF Winner)
- Padilla Series ’68 Torpedo (Value Winner)
Question: What cigar that appears on both Highlight Cigars and Tim’s 2012 Top Ten List.
Email the answer to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will pick a winner at random after the podcast has been released.